Omid Farokhzad is an Associate Professor at Harvard Medical School (HMS) and a physician-scientist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH). Dr. Farokhzad directs the Laboratory of Nanomedicine and Biomaterials at BWH. He is a faculty member of the Brigham Research Institute Cancer Research Center and a member of the Dana Farber/Harvard Cancer Center. Dr. Farokhzad’s research is focused on the development of therapeutic nanoparticle technologies; most notably, he pioneered the high throughput combinatorial development and screening of multifunctional nanoparticles for medical applications. Dr. Farokhzad has authored approximately 115 papers and holds more than 140 issued/pending US and International patents. The technologies that Dr. Farokhzad has developed with collaborators at HMS and MIT have formed the basis for: 1) a new class of targeted nanoparticles for treatment of important human diseases including cancer and cardiovascular disease; 2) a new class of synthetic nanoparticle vaccines for prophylactic and therapeutic applications and 3) a new class of integrative combination nanomedicines for synergistic treatment of cancers, inflammation/pain, and infectious diseases. These technologies formed the foundational platform for the launch of three biotechnology companies: BIND Therapeutics (NASDAQ: BIND), Selecta Biosciences, Blend Therapeutics, which are translating the aforementioned academic innovations toward commercialization and societal impact. Dr. Farokhzad was elected to the College of the Fellows of the American Institute of Medical and biological Engineering. He was a recipient of the 2013 RUSNANOPRIZE, one of the largest international nanotechnology prizes, for the development and industrialization of nanoparticle technologies for medical applications. In 2013, the Boston Globe selected him among the top innovators in Massachusetts and the Boston Business Journal selected him among the Health Care Champions for his innovations. In 2012, he was among the regional Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year awardees. Dr. Farokhzad completed his post-graduate clinical and post-doctoral research trainings, respectively, at the BWH/HMS and MIT in the laboratory of Institute Professor Robert Langer. He received his M.D. and M.A. from Boston University School of Medicine.
Read more about Dr. Farokhzad
- Dr. Farokhzad was elected as a member of the College of the Fellows of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) and has been recognized "for pioneering nanotechnology research in the field of cancer therapy, all the way from conception to human clinical testing." ( Read more...)
- Dr. Farokhzad was honored as one of fifteen recipients across all industries of “All Star Distinguished Achievement Award”, from the Mass High Tech. (Read more...)
- Dr. Farokhzad was highlighted by Forbes, Forbes has highlighted the important role of nanotechnology in driving forward the pharmaceutical industry with three of their top five nanotech breakthroughs in 2006 having biological applications. (Read more...)
- Dr. Farokhzad was highlighted by Scientific American in article "Nanoparticles Annihilate Prostate Cancer", talking about how nanotechnology is playing a critial role in fighting cancer. (Read more...)
- Dr. Farokhzad was highlighted by article "Magic Nano-Bullets", which tells the story of the how the advances in nanotechnology could make drug delivery far more accurate and effective. (Read more...)